Why TEFL in Peru?
Peru, once home to the Incas, has so much to offer its visitors. With temples, mountains, jungles and archaeological sites, there is truly something for everyone.
If you are looking for stunning landscapes and wondrous adventures, then Peru is a great destination to teach English abroad.
Peru is a popular destination for new TEFL teachers because you can easily find work without any previous teaching experience.
- As a TEFL teacher in Peru, you can earn around £375/$600 per month.
- You can earn up to $20,000 working for an international school if you hold a teaching degree or MA and teaching experience.
- You do not need to be a native English speaker to teach English in Peru, but you will need to be fluent in English and and speak at a native level.
- Citizenship from the USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa is typically preferred.
- The majority of your students will be adult learners.
- You will work 20-30 hours a week working for a private school.
Requirements to Teach English in Peru:
You will need a minimum of a 120-Hour TEFL Certification. Our courses are internationally accredited and award a level 5 certificate upon completion. When teaching abroad, a certification with practical experience is essential, so make sure that this is included in the course you take.
You will need a Tourist visa or work visa to teach English in Peru.
You do not need to hold a degree to teach English in Peru, although it is preferred.
Average Monthly Salary:
Cost of Living in Peru:
The cost of living is around $390, not including rent. Rent will depend on the type of place you stay. A room in a shared house will cost around $150 a month.
Although you might not be able to save a lot of your earnings, you will be able to have a comfortable living, also rich in adventures and memories.
Weather in Peru:
The weather will depend greatly on which area you are in, in Peru.
The Coast climate is a semi-arid, subtropical desert climate. Along the southern and central coast, temperatures vary from 13˚–26˚C, with colder months in May and October. The north has a more semi-tropical climate and temperatures average at 24˚C.
Some schools are able to arrange for you to stay with a local family – homestay. Shared apartments and houses is another great option.
Where Can I Teach English in Peru?
Lima and Cusquo are popular destinations to TEFL in Peru. Smaller cities to consider are Arequipa and Trufillo.
Popular Sights to Visit in Peru:
- Machu Picchu
- Sacred Valley
- Colca Canyon
- Nazca Lines
- Choquequirao Archaeological Park
Did You Know?
- Peru is home to part of the Amazon rainforest,
- and Machu Picchu, an ancient Incan city high in the Andes mountains.
- The region around Machu Picchu, including the Sacred Valley, Inca Trail and colonial city of Cusco, is rich in archaeological sites.
- You will find the Nazca Lines in Peru!
Useful Information About TEFL in Peru:
- September is a good time to look for a TEFL job in Peru as the school year runs from March to November.
- You can take contracts as short as 3 months, which means some employers will hire new teachers throughout the year.
- Consider teaching English online in some of your off time. This will help you bring in a greater income. Read our blog How Much Can I Earn as an Online English Teacher?
If you are interested in finding out more about how to get TEFL certified and start teaching online or abroad, get in touch today! we will help you every step of the way, from getting certified to landing your job teaching English.